pow pow pow
Tuesday was my last day with 4th grade there were 5 minutes of class left when...
pow pow pow
Were they fire crackers was my first thought?
The Liberian students and teachers did not even question what to do. A few quickly packed my teaching supplies and took them to the principal’s office. I tried calling the ship immediately, but the cell lines were all busy. When I finally realized it must be safe enough to go outside I went met with the principal. The traffic was still moving, but the principal suggested I stay till things settle. As we waited about 20 Liberian police ran through the school yard chasing and searching for people. Things settled and my translator and I went back to the ship amongst the heavy traffic fleeing the city. Later we discovered the shots were gun fire from the UN workers, shots in the air to disperse a crowd who were protesting about their pay.
Wednesday: Taking precautions and advice of the UN officials the Captain and Security Officer did not allow us to go into town even for work, but thankfully the town was peaceful. Training of trainers: In the afternoon we were able to have our 4th of 5 Training of Trainers workshops because it wasn't downtown. 13 of our 14 teacher trainers came to explore different interactive teaching methods and the classroom teaching plan.
Thursday: This was my last day with the 3rd grade. My translator/facilitator Nuhn taught the story of Zaccheus and how when he met Jesus he made good choices to follow Jesus and changing from his bad ways. We gave the student a Contract of Life inviting them to make good choices.
I __________ want to choose a good life.
I want to follow Jesus.
I want to help others.
I want to share with others.
I want to encourage others.
There was only one student from what I saw that chose not to sign the contract. I was told he is Muslim.
pow pow pow
Were they fire crackers was my first thought?
The Liberian students and teachers did not even question what to do. A few quickly packed my teaching supplies and took them to the principal’s office. I tried calling the ship immediately, but the cell lines were all busy. When I finally realized it must be safe enough to go outside I went met with the principal. The traffic was still moving, but the principal suggested I stay till things settle. As we waited about 20 Liberian police ran through the school yard chasing and searching for people. Things settled and my translator and I went back to the ship amongst the heavy traffic fleeing the city. Later we discovered the shots were gun fire from the UN workers, shots in the air to disperse a crowd who were protesting about their pay.
Wednesday: Taking precautions and advice of the UN officials the Captain and Security Officer did not allow us to go into town even for work, but thankfully the town was peaceful. Training of trainers: In the afternoon we were able to have our 4th of 5 Training of Trainers workshops because it wasn't downtown. 13 of our 14 teacher trainers came to explore different interactive teaching methods and the classroom teaching plan.
Thursday: This was my last day with the 3rd grade. My translator/facilitator Nuhn taught the story of Zaccheus and how when he met Jesus he made good choices to follow Jesus and changing from his bad ways. We gave the student a Contract of Life inviting them to make good choices.
I __________ want to choose a good life.
I want to follow Jesus.
I want to help others.
I want to share with others.
I want to encourage others.
There was only one student from what I saw that chose not to sign the contract. I was told he is Muslim.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home